Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Inspired: 100 Colors: Solving for Ex by Leigh Ann Kopans

Inspired: A Summer of Songs showcases song lyrics written by myself and other bloggers. The lyrics and themes were inspired by books. The author of the books have provided their thoughts on the lyrics and how it fits their books; in the case that an author could not participate, a fellow blogger took up the responsibility. I highly encourage you to comment either on the lyrics, on the books, on the event in general, or on anything of a similar note.

As I mentioned in my intro post to this event, Solving for Ex and the song inspired by the book, as well as Leigh Ann Kopans' excitement over the lyrics, were my inspiration for the event. So of course, I needed to include this song first! I can't tell you how supportive Leigh Ann has been, and I'm excited to be (hopefully) writing another song based on one of her books--First World Problems, a companion novel to Solving for Ex

(Before we get to the song, I just want to note that for some of the songs, I didn't include punctuation. This is for a variety of reasons. I apologize if it bothers you or in any way hinders your reading of the lyrics.)

The Song:

100 Colors
Teardrops falling from the sky 
Rainbow colors every where 
Soft wind blowing through your hair 
Going nowhere, going nowhere 

Blissful silence in my ear 
Voices fading through thick air 
Powerful patterns running light 
Telling me to bring you near 

There are a hundred colors 
Bleeding through my fingertips 
There are a thousand lights 
Shining above me 
There are a million places 
I could be, but I’d rather be here 

A ten dollar picture frame 
Is hanging here above me 
Every time I look up 
I feel you here, feel you here 

Fractals of light in my eyes 
Morse code language won’t work here 
Blinking lights through the night 
Won’t bring you near 

There are a hundred colors 
Bleeding through my fingertips 
There are a thousand lights 
Shining above me 
There are a million places 
I could be, but I’d rather be here 

Oooo Oooo And you’re behind me 
I can almost feel you reaching out 
And you’re beside me 
I can almost feel your breath on my face 
I’ve missed you, I’ve missed you 

There are a hundred colors 
Bleeding through my fingertips 
There are a thousand lights 
Shining above me 
There are a million places 
I could be, but I’d rather be here 

There are a hundred colors 
Bleeding through my fingertips 
There are a thousand lights 
Shining above me 
There a million places 
I could be, but I’d rather be here 

There are a hundred colors 
Bleeding through my fingertips 
But they won’t bring you 
Any closer to me

The Reaction:

I’m a big sucker for a strong theme in my books, almost to the point of obsession. It’s one reason that Iloved Mansfield Park, the Austen classic on which SOLVING FOR EX is based.

Relationships are hard, and in high school, they’re even harder. There are so many things you “should” be looking for in a guy, so many acceptable reasons to want to be with someone. Ashley, the main character of Solving for Ex, certainly has her reasons for wanting to be with Brendan, but even she knows they’re only surface reasons – there’s just something about him that fits her perfectly, so much so that even the guy who does the “right” things to catch her attention simply...doesn’t.

The message of Solving for Ex is this: Listen to your gut. Always. Even if you can’t name the details of why or how you know something is true, trust your knowledge anyway. It’s a concept that’s kind of tough to put into words, because our intuition is always moving and changing, but always something we can point to, something that’s part of us.

I never thought I could have captured that concept in less than a novel-length format. In this song, Jessica has done it BRILLIANTLY.

Here’s the stanza that really grabbed me, the one that fully articulates looking right through everything everyone else around you is telling you to value, and only having eyes for the person you absolutely KNOW is the right one for you:

There are a hundred colors
Bleeding through my fingertips
There are a thousand lights
Shining above me
There are a million places
I could be, but I’d rather be here

So it’s even worse when that person who’s so absolutely right for you is your best friend, so involved in your life every single day – and apparently doesn’t feel the same way. Just tell me each and every word of this stanza isn’t perfect:

And you’re behind me
I can almost feel you reaching out
And you’re beside me
I can almost feel your breath on my face
I’ve missed you, I’ve missed you

I knew that Jessica wrote this song while reading Solving for Ex, but even if I didn’t, I would have sworn she was talking about my book – Ashley, and Brendan, and this exquisite tension that keeps them dancing around each other. I’m so flattered that [Jessica] asked for my opinion on it – it’s TRULY perfect.

The Book:
Solving for Ex by Leigh Ann Kopans
Publisher: Self-published
Release Date: February 11th, 2014
1 crush on your best friend +

1 gorgeous, scheming new girl +

1 Mathletics competition =

1 big mess

SIMPLIFY.

Ashley Price doesn’t have much in life after being bullied so hard she had to leave her old school to live with her aunt and uncle in Pittsburgh. But the camera she borrowed from her best friend and secret crush Brendan, and her off the charts math abilities, make things a lot more bearable. Plus, since Brendan is the captain, making the school Mathletes team should be easy.

But when gorgeous new girl Sofia rolls in and steals Brendan, Ashley's place on the team, and her fragile foothold on the Mansfield Park Prep social totem pole, it’s on. Sofia is everything Ashley left her old school to escape. The only thing Ashley didn’t count on is Sofia’s sexy twin brother Vincent.

Vincent is not only the hottest boy in school, he’s charming, sweet, and he’s got his eye on Ashley. He’s also not taking no for an answer. There's no real reason Ashley shouldn't like Vincent, but with the battle lines being drawn between her and Sofia, Ashley’s not sure which side he’s on. Or which side she wants him to be on.

She does know Sofia is trouble with a capital T, and she’s determined to make Brendan see it.
Solving for Ex: Goodreads | Author's Website

Leigh Ann Kopans, The Author:

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's so cool to see the perspective of a fan on a book. I haven't read this one yet, but its been on my goodreads TBR for a while. Now after reading your lyrics I want to read the book even more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...