Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Mini Review: Zita the Spacegirl Series by Ben Hatke

Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
Release Date: February 1st, 2011
Publisher: First Second Books
Zita’s life took a cosmic left turn in the blink of an eye.

When her best friend is abducted by an alien doomsday cult, Zita leaps to the rescue and finds herself a stranger on a strange planet. Humanoid chickens and neurotic robots are shocking enough as new experiences go, but Zita is even more surprised to find herself taking on the role of intergalactic hero. Before long, aliens in all shapes and sizes don’t even phase her. Neither do ancient prophecies, doomed planets, or even a friendly con man who takes a mysterious interest in Zita’s quest.
What a great start to the series! I absolutely love Zita, who is spunky, brave, clever, and so much more. She is such a loyal friend, and I love her personality. I'm so glad to see a young heroine, which is so refreshing and so needed. In a world where most of our superheroes are male, I'm so happy to see a young, female hero too. I enjoyed her adventures, and the other creatures that she befriended along the way are awesome. The book sets up the next book extremely well, and this is definitely a quick read that is highly recommended for young children but that can also definitely be enjoyed by those of us that are older.

Legends of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
Release Date: September 4th, 2012
Publisher: First Second Books
Fame comes at a price...

Zita must find her way back to earth...but her space adventures have made her a galactic megastar! Who can you trust when your true self is overshadowed by your public image? And to make things worse...Zita's got a robot double making trouble--while wearing her face!

I thought it was so interesting to see Zita deals with her newfound fame after Zita the Spacegirl. I continue to love Zita, her personality, and her persistence. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Zita impostor, nor did I find the plot to be as engaging as in the first book...until the end. The end shows how much both Zita and her impostor change throughout the book, particularly the impostor, and I think the impostor's sacrifice, as well as the fact that they all end up working together, is so important and vital, and that really sticks out to me. The book, much like the first, is well written and definitely recommended.
The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
Release Date: May 13th, 2014
Publisher: First Second Books
Zita the Spacegirl has saved planets, battled monsters, and wrestled with interplanetary fame. But she faces her biggest challenge yet in the third and final installment of the Zita adventures. Wrongfully imprisoned on a penitentiary planet, Zita has to plot the galaxy's greatest jailbreak before the evil prison warden can execute his plan of interstellar domination!
Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the publisher. This does not affect my thoughts in any way, nor am I being compensated for this review.

An absolutely fabulous end to a fabulous series! Again, Zita is consistently awesome, and I love her. I really like how the characters and plot arcs from the previous two books make an appearance and/or are important in this book, and it adds a lot to it too. Basically, everything from the previous two books were just amplified in this one. I love the team work, and I just love the lessons to be learned in this book. I love how The Return of Zita the Spacegirl emphasizes how by helping others, you help yourself. This book, I feel, is such an important one for young people to read, and I'm sad it's not in the hands of even more children (and teens and adults)! As I said, a fabulous series ender. I can't wait to see what Hatke is coming up with next.
Zita the Spacegirl: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
The Legends of Zita the Spacegirl: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
The Return of Zita the Spacegirl: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Ben Hatke: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Tumblr 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading! I appreciate all comments, and I always comment back if I can. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...